Thursday, September 1, 2011

September Challenge: Icebox Cake

photo from Smitten Kitchen





Posted by - Rena



Happy September! I am thrilled that summer is almost over. It was a lovely summer but I'm ready for fall. It's still pretty warm out so I thought an icebox cake would be perfect to usher us into the next season. No one wants cold desserts when it's snowing! I always joke (to myself) that icebox cakes are the dessert version of casseroles. You can just layer away with goodies and somehow they all settle in nicely together. I first learned about these cakes from Smitten Kitchen. The recipe is super simple. I've made it twice and I swear to you, the cake tastes like a giant Oreo cookie. There are a million versions of icebox cakes that use ingredients such as pudding, cream cheese and whipped cream so have a look around the internet and find the one that suits you. I realize there isn't any baking involved, unless you'd like to bake your own cookies, wafers, cake or graham crackers but September is always busy so we can make something delicious without even turning on the oven!



Here are a few variations I found:

Cinnamon & Cream Cheese Icebox Cake

Strawberry Icebox Cake

Raspberry Icebox Cake

Lemon Graham Cracker Icebox Cake

Chocolate, Peanut Butter & Banana Icebox Cake

Nutella Icebox Cake



Happy Layering!

No comments:

Post a Comment